BRIEF HISTORY OF POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA IN EDUCATION (PDE)
Consequent upon a letter reference TRCN/PO/PDE/56/111 of August 21, 2010 written by the Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN), Abuja on the need to protect the sanctity of the Professional Diploma in Education (PDE) as a postgraduate programme, the Academic Board at its meeting of Thursday, April 7,2011approved the mounting of the Professional Diploma in Education (PDE) in the College with effect from 2011/2012 academic session. The Academic Board also approved the establishment of Postgraduate School and the immediate commencement of the programme.
Consequent upon this, the Provost appointed a Dean to head the new school. On June 24, 2011, Management wrote to the Registrar and Chief Executive,Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria to notify him of the decision of the Academic Board to mount the Professional Diploma in Education (PDE) in the College with effect from 2011/2012 academic session.
On August 9, 2011, the Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN) through another memo reference TRCN/PO/PDE/56/111 gave a provisional approval to the College to commence the Professional Diploma in Education Programme. Also the same memo conveyed the information that, the college should invite the Council to assess the adequacy of the facilities which the College will use in running the programme. These include the following.
1. Staff Qualification
2. Classroom space
3. Entry Qualification
5. General Learning Environment
6. Time Coverage
7. Any other relevant issues.
The Academic Board at another of its meeting considered and approved the adoption of the title Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) which they agreed is more conventional and acceptable in academic world.
In accordance with the Teachers Registration Councilâ€™s directive, the Registrar through a memo, ref. CEI/RO/1.33.VOI.I/32 requested for a resource visitation by the Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN) officially, the council considered the request and approved of the visit to the College on August 10, 2012.
Presently, the Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) programme has thirty six (36) students and they have started their teaching practice exercise on Monday,26th September, 2016 for a period of twelve(12) weeks, while the sales of admission forms for 2016/2017 session is on-going.
THE PHILOSOPHY OF THE PROGRAMME
The philosophy of the PGDE programme is to produce educators, who will serve as agents of positive change through the social engineering processes of education as teachers, researchers, experts, educational policy/programme designers, implementers, developers, evaluators and experts whose services shall be useful in related fields of national and international development.
To run a PGDE programme that shall cater adequately for the nations education needs as well as become reckoned with as one of the best programme globally.
To empower educators intellectually and professionally to sustain and improve educational practice in schools, colleges, polytechnics, universities and other educational organizations in Nigeria in line with national needs, aspirations and global standards.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The PGDE programme is theoretical; and practical. It includes important aspects of teaching and learning. The programme addresses the philosophical problems of the bases of educational practice, the diverse human settings within which teaching and learning occur, the practical process and content of teaching, the definition of teacherâ€™s role and teaching ethics.
At the end of the programme, learners should have in-depth knowledge of education and the professional requirements as well as competence to adequately teach at various levels of education and function effectively in other organizations. All courses offered in the programme aim at:
1. Developing professional background and expertise of educators;
2. Producing educators who are knowledgeable and committed;
3. Producing educators who can propel social change intellectually in attitudes, skills, values and worldviews;
4. Developing educators who can give Nigeria education a national outlook while making it relevant in a global context;
5. Producing educators who are committed to reforming educational delivery through effective application and utilization of ICT in both national and global context;
6. Producing educators who would teach and provide leadership at different levels of education;
7. Providing leadership for basic, secondary and tertiary academic institutions and other sectors of the national economy;
8. Producing media specialists, designers of training programme and evaluators of educational programme/products in the schools, Ministry of Education, industries, health services and government agencies;
9. Providing opportunity of the professional training and personal improvement in teaching for serving teachers.
10. Enabling the acquisition of knowledge, skills and techniques necessary for teaching the special subjects and the effective use of the library; and
11. Conforming to all regulations contained in the National Benchmark for the PGDE programme in Nigeria.
Since the inception of the programme, the School has graduated three (3) sets of students. The result of the third set is still being processed while the fourth set is presently on teaching practice exercise.